Tasting Notes: Hibiscus, Cranberry, & Praline
Roast Level: Light
Country: Costa Rica
Region: Sabanilla de Alajuela, Central Valley
Farm: Las Lajas
Variety: Catuai, Caturra
Altitude: 1400-1600 MASL
Process: Yellow Honey
Factoid: Oscar and Francisca Chacón are third-generation coffee producers. Coffee is more than just their family heritage. It's in their hearts and souls as well. They are passionately committed to quality and innovation and are among the first farmers in Costa Rica to produce Natural process and Honey process specialty coffees. We have proudly featured their coffees over the years as perennial favorites of our entire roasting team.
These days, Las Lajas focuses on several variations of both Honey and Natural process:
- Yellow Honey: Coffee is turned hourly on raised beds for a few days, then transferred to a greenhouse and turned regularly.
- Red Honey: Coffee is turned several times a day and dried for longer in the greenhouse.
- Black Honey: Coffee is turned once a day.
- Perla Negra Natural: Coffee dries directly in the sun for 10 days, rotating constantly, and then is transferred to bags and left for 2–3 days before being moved to raised beds.
- Alma Negra: Drying starts in the greenhouse for a few days. Then it is brought to the greenhouse and piled up at night and moved to the raised beds during the sunshine hours.